Shhhh... Testing in Progress

A garden-growing, pest control-spraying, novel-writing, violin-teaching, homestead-experimenting, talent-developing, homeschooling, learning as we go, and enjoying the motorcycle-riding journey kind of family...

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Migraines...

Need I say more???
In case you've never experienced one or don't know the signs:
--- ME, YESTERDAY---
While at my friend's house, I started noticing some signs...
A colorful ray/line of light was impeeding into my vision -- called an aura
And then, while I was looking at her face while she talked, I no longer could see her mouth, and all my focus was on her eyes.
Then I started to feel numbness in my right pinkie finger, which spread to my other fingers, one-by-one, and then up my forearm.
(and sometimes the numbness will be half of my tongue, nose, mouth, feet, face - each)
I get a taste in my mouth that is very distinct of a migraine about to come on.

Above... this is a picture of what it looks like when I drive with a migraine. (I think more without the clouds - just distortion of areas to where I can't see or read in that area).

Below... this is a pretty good depiction of what I look like when I have a migraine.
Doubled over, in pain, on the floor.

When I'm not in bed, with an ice pack on the back of my neck/head and a dark mask covering my eyes (or 3 blankets over my head to keep the light and sound out), leaning over a bucket to relieve nausea, and/or in the shower to relax enough to sleep through the pain.

Usually, the signs come without pain. If I take medicine at the first sign, I can usually sleep it off before it hits full-on. It's just wierd to take medicine before the pain hits. And sometimes the medicine doesn't kick in fast enough - hence the picture above. No guarantees here.

Like in the middle of the night - waking in pain from a migraine. Lots of fun. (not really)

The BEST part. My migraines are residual... which means after the BIG one hits, the feeling lingers for 2-3 days afterwards. And if I push myself too hard, BAM -- it comes right back, just as hard, if not harder.

My interpretation, someone's telling me to slow down... a lot. And my kids know -- mom can do nothing, so break out the cereal and toast.
And to remember, what Christ suffered in Gethsemane, was greater than this -- for which I gain much more gratitude.

So, I'm on the mend. I'll post more... in about 2-3 days.
I'm feeling very 'residual' at the moment.

1 comment: